AIMS program at TMU
Regional Development with Tourism Course, Faculty of Urban Environmental Sciences
Please click here to download the outline of our inbound program for AIMS 2019.
Period: mid-September, 2019 ~ late-January, 2020
Universities and Faculties
Host University is Tokyo Metropolitan University and the Host Faculty is Faculty of Urban Environmental Sciences.
Home Universities and the Faculties:
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Faculty of Built Environment and Surveying
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Economics and Management
Number of participants:
5 students in total
Curriculum for inbound students
“Regional Development with Tourism” Course offered by TMU for incoming students promotes proper use of technology towards the natural environment and city for tourism purposes, and studies tourism based on Science and Engineering.
Pre-training and Common/Core Subjects *To be determined later
- Tourism and Geography in Japan
Specialty Courses (provided by TMU)
- Nature- and culture-based tourism Seminar I
- Regional Environmental Studies (Nature based Tourism Unit)
- Regional environmental science: practical field training (Nature based Tourism Unit)
- Environmental Ecology I (Nature based Tourism Unit)
- Environmental Ecology II (Nature based Tourism Unit)
- Field Exercise in Environmental Ecology (Nature based Tourism Unit)
- Transport Planning and Management for Tourism Promotion (Culture based Tourism Unit)
- Town Planning in Tourism (Culture based Tourism Unit)
- Exercise on Community Development through Tourism (Culture based Tourism Unit)
- Tourism theories and practice (Tourism Policy and Information Unit)
- Tourism Theory II (Tourism Policy and Information Unit)
- Exercise on Geographic Information Science for Tourism (Tourism Policy and Information Unit)
Credit Accumulation & Transfer Scheme
Credits accumulated for certain classes at TMU are transferrable to each partner university (UPM, UTM).
Tuition fee is exempted for the participants in this AIMS Program.
Accommodation provided off-campus dormitory during the study period. Rental housing with a reasonable pricing is secured for students.
Services Available for Exchange Students at TMU
- Tutoring System
- International Student Advisor
- Cross Cultural Understanding Seminar
- Japanese Language Lessons
UTM Students: Please contact to UTM International. (website: http://www.utm.my/internationalaffairs/study-abroad/External Link)
UPM Students: Please contact to International Division, UPM. (website: http://www.intl.upm.edu.my/External Link)
Application and Selection Process
Screening of applications and selection of applicants are conducted by the relevant authority in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and Universiti Putra Malaysia. Please note that TMU does not directly accept any application forms from candidates for this program.
The submission deadline of all application documents is 30th of April, 2019.
Visa and Immigration Procedures
Students are required to submit a Certificate of Enrolment (COE) from the Tokyo Immigration Bureau in applying for a student visa at the Embassy/ Consulate of Japan in their home country. Tokyo Metropolitan University processes the COE applications for exchange students. Processing time of COE applications is 2-3 months.
Required Documents for Inbound Program
All documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org through respective home universities' international divisions by 30th of April, 2019.
- TMU application form (Microsoft Word29.9KB)
- Health certificate (TMU form) (Adobe PDF89KB)
- COE application form (Microsoft Excel188KB) *Please refer to the websiteExternal Link of Immigration Bureau of Japan for more details.
- Financial plan (Adobe PDF515KB)
- Pledge (Adobe PDF20.3KB)
- Official Transcript issued by your home university
- Certificate of Enrollment issued by your home university
- Copy of passport (PDF format preferable)
Copy of the page with your name, photo, nationality, passport number and expiry date
- Photo of applicant (4cm x 3cm, printable: PNG, JPEG, or PDF acceptable)
(These documents are accepted via UTM/UPM international office)
Approximate Living Expenses in Japan
Off-Campus Accommodation -Global House Chofu-
JPY 40,000 per month (inclusive of utility charges)
Transportation Fee from Off-Campus Accoommodation to Minamiosawa Campus
JPY 600 per visit (two ways)
Exchange students are required to enroll in National Health Insurance once arrived in Japan, approximate cost for 6 months is JPY 5,000
JPY 25,000 – JPY 35,000 per month
Dining-out:(On campus) JPY 400 – per meal
(Off campus) JPY 600 – per meal